Monday, March 10, 2008

Attack of the Crazies

When this past January rolled around, I was shocked at the amount of people who were longing for the year to be over; it'd never occurred to me that people would be happy to let go of a part of their lives. Today though, after yet another grim phone call announcing somber news, I am beginning to understand why folks might tend to wish time away. Already in this new year a beloved grandmother has passed away, a dear one's relationship has hit a rough patch, a colleague has been diagnosed with a life-threatening illness requiring intensive, painful treatment, friend's pets have died, and co-workers family members have taken ill.

Mike says I'm focusing too much on the negative. I can be guilty of that, but I hope that I am able to recognize the difficulties for what they are, and focus instead on how grateful I am for each day of my healthy, happy life. I need to remember to experience the joy of every day, and take risks and make plans that reach beyond my day to day existence. Yes, there have been some sadnesses in the past few months, but there have been moments and days of lovely, warming happiness as well.

No comments: